How to become a library user
The Library operates as an open institution and provides its services to any person who wishes to use the information resources at the disposal of the LLU Fundamental Library.
To become a user of the Fundamental Library of the Latvia University of Life Sciences and Technologies, a person must register in the Library.
- The full time Bachelor and Master students register in the Textbook Lending point (room 76) producing a valid International Student Identity Card or the Unified Reader’s Card.
- The part-time Bachelor and Master students register in the Textbook Lending point (room 76) producing a valid identification document or the Unified Reader’s Card.
- PhD students register in the Reading Room (Room 254) producing a valid identification document and order the Unified Reader’s Card or present the Unified Reader’s Card issued by another library.
- Employees of University register in the Circulation Service point (room 161) producing a valid identification document and University employee identification card, and order the Unified Reader’s Card or present it.
- The University course participants register in the Circulation Service point (room 161) producing Unified Reader’s Card or present a valid identification document and order the Unified Reader’s Card.
- Other users register in the Reading Room (room 254) producing the Unified Reader’s Card issued by another library or present a valid identification document.
- At the Circulation Service point (room 161) items are lent to full-time and part-time students, master students, doctoral students, course participants and employees for the loan period of 28 days. The more requested books are lent for two weeks.
- At the Textbook Lending point (room 76) the books are lent to full-time and part-time students and master students for the loan period of one semester. The books are lent out if the student has fulfilled his/her obligations. The borrowed literature in Autumn semester must be returned by January 31. The borrowed literature in Spring semester must be returned by August 31.
- All materials located in the Department of Bibliographic Information, The Reading Room, The Depository Library of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations can be used in these rooms only.
- All borrowed materials must be returned in due time in the same condition as when borrowed. Any borrower who fails to return a book shall be liable to a fine of Eur 0.03 for each item per day.
- The books and other issues are lent out if the Library user has fulfilled his/her obligations with the Fundamental Library of Latvia University of Life Sciences and Technologies and with any other library.
- Items that do not circulate are the following: editions from the Reading Room, reference literature, the sole/last copies, rare editions, dissertations, synopses of dissertations, final reports of research works, books with a mark „Uz mājām neizsniedz”.
- No book shall be borrowed from the Library on any day less than fifteen minutes before the time of closing.
USE OF LIBRARY MATERIALS
- The marking of any Library materials is forbidden.
- All persons borrowing Library materials, or ordering materials for use within the Library, shall produce evidence of identity at the time of borrowing or ordering if requested to do so.
- Readers must comply with the provisions of the Copyright Law and Library Law.
BEHAVIOUR IN THE LIBRARY
- Silence shall be maintained as far as possible in the Library.
- The use of portable computers and mobile devices is permitted in the Library provided that they are quiet in operation. Users of such equipment may be required to work in specified areas or to stop using a computer if it constitutes a distraction to other readers.
- The use of equipment likely to disturb or distract other readers or to damage Library materials (e.g. digital scanners, radios, personal hi-fi equipment, or computers to perform any of the functions of such machines) is not permitted in the Library.
- Mobile telephones must be set to ‘silent’ mode in the Library. General photography and filming (e.g. of people or the building) is prohibited.
- Overcoats, raincoats, and other kinds of outdoor clothing, umbrellas, bags, cases, photocopying devices, and similar personal belongings the Library users must leave in the designated places. There are special lockers for bags on the 2nd floor staircase and on the ground floor.
- Water may be consumed in the Library as long as this is from bottles with a sealable top.
- Smoking, including electronic cigarettes, is not permitted anywhere on the premises.
- Library staff are empowered to stop any activity in the Library which they consider prejudicial to the safety, well-being, or security of readers or Library staff or to the preservation of the collections.
- Checking out materials, a library user must verify whether they are not mutilated and in case of observing defects one must immediately inform the librarian. Otherwise, the borrower is responsible for the mutilated item.
- In case the publication has been lost or mutilated, the borrower must substitute the same or an equal value item. If it is not possible, the replacement cost of the book has been paid.
- Interrupting the studies at Latvia University of Life Sciences and Technologies, the Library user must return all borrowed materials to the Library.
- It is forbidden to pass the International Student Identity Card or the Unified Reader’s Card to other persons.